Sunday, July 15, 2012

This year will be a Hoot!


I needed to start out with that verse. I may not be in the perfect place right now, but I know that there are plans for me. I know that because I have been given so much support and love that I will never be able to repay it. I am ever so grateful for the donations, the support on my decision to begin selling things, and those of you who have purchased my first unit. I will never be able to adequately convey how you and this blog have helped in a way that was so unexpected. You, in fact, gave me some amount of hope during a truly devastating life experience. Thank you for your kindness. Thank you for your support. Just thank you.

I wanted to put together a unit that I have not done before. One of my co-workers has an Owl themed classroom and there is so much cute owl things out there, it just called to me. I am soooooo thrilled and proud to present this unit. It is aligned with the Kindergarten Common Core Standards. I just LOVE it! 


With a total of 14 math and literacy activities all developed around the Kindergarten Common Core Standards. Activities and skills addressed include;


*Base Ten Memory- It’s a Hoot (Compose and decompose numbers from 11 to 19 into ten ones and some further ones, e.g., by using objects or drawings, and record each composition or decomposition by a drawing or equation (such as 18 = 10 + 8); understand that these numbers are composed of ten ones and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine ones.)
*Whoooo’s Tallest? ( Directly compare two objects with a measurable attribute in common, to see which object has “more of”/“less of” the attribute, and describe the difference. For example, directly compare the heights of two children and describe one child as taller/shorter.)
*“Owl” Find the Number (Count forward beginning from a given number within the known sequence (instead of having to begin at 1).)
*Where is the Shape? (Describe objects in the environment using names of shapes, and describe the relative positions of these objects using terms such as abovebelowbesidein front ofbehind, and next to.)
*Who’s Counting? (Count to answer “how many?” questions about as many as 20 things arranged in a line, a rectangular array, or a circle, or as many as 10 things in a scattered configuration; given a number from 1–20, count out that many objects.)
*Adding Owls (Fluently add and subtract within 5.)
*Roll, Write, and Color (Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities; connect counting to cardinality. When counting objects, say the number names in the standard order, pairing each object with one and only one number name and each number name with one and only one object.)
*Roll an Owl (Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities; connect counting to cardinality.  When counting objects, say the number names in the standard order, pairing each object with one and only one number name and each number name with one and only one object. )
*Let’s Learn the Vowels ( Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.  Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.)
*Go Hoot! (Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.)
*Little Owl, What Can You Find? (Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print. Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.)( Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.  Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., theoftoyoushemyisaredo,does).) (Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking. Print many upper- and lowercase letters.)
*Colorful Owls (Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. Read common high-frequency words by sight e.g., theoftoyoushemyisaredo, does).)
*Owl Craftivity (Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels. OR  Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. Demonstrate basic knowledge of letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or most frequent sound for each consonant.)
*Owl Map (Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. Demonstrate basic knowledge of letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or most frequent sound for each consonant.)

The packet includes over 100 pages of color activities and student work (sorts, recording sheets, emergent readers) for your Kindergarten classroom. Also, good for early first grade.


Here are some pictures for you to check out!





You can purchase my new owl unit at both my TpT shop and my TN shop. I hope you will check it out!
Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st - English Language Arts, Holidays/Seasonal, Math - TeachersPayTeachers.com

There is also a new Dog freebie!

7 comments:

  1. Doggy Freebie is ADORABLE! So is the Owl unit!



    Sara
    Mrs M's Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love that you have done all the work and aligned these for the common core. I have a ton of TPT items that are fantastic but I will have to go back and see exactly which standards they fit. This is perfect because I don't have to do that. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving owls (like everyone else) right now and your packet looks seriously adorable!! I'm loving it!

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so fantastic!! Thank you for the Doggy Ten Frames freebie! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey ... I LOVE that verse and thank you so much for reminding us that God does indeed have a plan for each of us and that plan is amazing! It is just that life is so hard. Hang in there and know that you have your bloggy friends on your side!
    Love to you,
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Owl unit if fantastic. Thanks for the doggie freebie.

    Rose

    "The Wonderful World of Kindergarten"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your owl unit is AMAZING! Thank you so much for your hard work. I have some additional positive feedback about the unit to share but I cannot find your e-mail anywhere! Can you please e-mail me so I can send you something? Heather.Stromme@gfschools.org

    Thanks and have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete